First sports injury

Well, we had our first sports injury. Walker broke his arm last week at football practice. I still can't believe it happened!! I never broke anything (technically, I broke my nose in high school playing basketball, but it wasn't really that big of a deal), and hoped we wouldn't have to deal with anything of this magnitude this early in the kids' lives. He was so brave at football that it took us a good 10 minutes to figure out his arm was seriously hurt and we needed to get it checked out. I will never forget when we took his jersey off and had to lift his arm- he screamed bloody murder and unfortunately, I cannot get that memory out of my head. We went to Cook's ER that night, and they got us looked at immediately. They gave him a sling and about 3 teaspoons of Motrin.
At Cook's
After x-rays, they said it was definitely broken, and sent us home with a soft cast. I called the orthopedic office the next day, and they told us to come right in, that the doctor wanted to see him right away. He took more x-rays and put a hard cast on right away, Walker chose red. It was a clean break all the way through his lower left humerus.
As soon as we got home, he wanted to change and of course he had to color coordinate his outfit with his cast. Yes, my son does care about what he wears :)We went back to the orthopedic doctor 5 days later to do more x-rays and make sure everything was healing nicely. They couldn't get a good look at it with the cast on, and the doctor wanted to make sure that it was growing back good and didn't need pins. They took his red cast off and took x-rays of both arms, to compare the angles and bones. I took a picture of his broken arm without the cast. I was surprised at how swollen it still was.Good news! The doctor decided no to surgery or pins, and that the bones were growing together just fine. There is a 3 degree difference in the two arms, but he said it wasn't enough to warrant putting him under and doing pins. Thank goodness!!! This time, Walker chose purple and we got a silver Sharpie for his friends to sign with.
He has been such a trooper through all this. Football is over for the year, and he was very disappointed, but still took it so well. I have been incredibly impressed with his desire to do as much as he can for himself even though he is limited with the cast. I'm so proud of his excellent attitude through all this!
What an ordeal, though. Ugh- I hope we don't have to do this very much...

Comments

Sydney said…
Purple Cast! What a great idea!! ;)

Glad he didn't have to have surgery. Not fun.

Love you!
Deborah said…
Oh, bless his little heart!! So glad he doesn't have to have surgery, though.

Hope your arm gets better very soon, Walker!
Deborah said…
Oh, bless his little heart!! So glad he doesn't have to have surgery, though.

Hope your arm gets better very soon, Walker!
jennifer said…
Tough boy! I'm dreading the day we have a broken bone...

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Family Weekend

What's so great about living out in the country??

Happy Spring Break to Walker and Lucy!!