First time for everything
Walker got sick this week with croup... again. 3 days before his birthday, he started that unmistakable cough that sounded like a seal. However, this time, Thursday night the coughing was really bad and it started to hinder his breathing. He had croup back in the fall, but we didn't have any breathing issues with it last time- just that crazy sounding cough. He could barely breathe and of course it was scaring him a little. I tried for about 45 minutes to calm him down and get him back to sleep. I put his head in the freezer and had him breathe in the cold air, sang to him, had him suck on ice- he wasn't calming down enough to sleep and breathe normally. So, I talked to Jason and did something I had yet to do as a parent- I drove my child to the Emergency Room.
I was really nervous. I knew they would give him steroids, and he would be ok- but it is just so scary to watch your child not be able to breathe. I now know how my Dad felt watching me with those awful asthma attacks I had when I was little. I am so thankful my kids don't have asthma...
Anyway- we drove to Cook's Children's ER and they saw him immediately. I would happily do a commercial for Cook's ER. They were wonderful!! Great doctors that really knew how to interact with kids, and very efficient.
Of course, by the time we got there, he had calmed down considerably and I looked like a loon bringing in a healthy 4-year old at 1 in the morning. They could still tell that he had croup and his airways were inflamed, but he was breathing much easier by the time we got there. They treated him, he was very interested in everything they were doing, and not scared at all. I even started taking pictures with my phone to document this occasion, since he was obviously going to be ok.
I was really nervous. I knew they would give him steroids, and he would be ok- but it is just so scary to watch your child not be able to breathe. I now know how my Dad felt watching me with those awful asthma attacks I had when I was little. I am so thankful my kids don't have asthma...
Anyway- we drove to Cook's Children's ER and they saw him immediately. I would happily do a commercial for Cook's ER. They were wonderful!! Great doctors that really knew how to interact with kids, and very efficient.
Of course, by the time we got there, he had calmed down considerably and I looked like a loon bringing in a healthy 4-year old at 1 in the morning. They could still tell that he had croup and his airways were inflamed, but he was breathing much easier by the time we got there. They treated him, he was very interested in everything they were doing, and not scared at all. I even started taking pictures with my phone to document this occasion, since he was obviously going to be ok.
Checking out his hospital shirt
We had to give it back. That would have been cool to keep.
What croup??
His breathing treatment
Waiting after his treatment and oral steroid. They wanted us to wait so they could
check him after the steroids had a chance to get in his system.
They had a TV playing kids movies and gave him a popsicle!!!
All in all, it was pretty uneventful and successful. Like I said, Cook's was great and I would go back there again anytime (hopefully not too often...)
We had to give it back. That would have been cool to keep.

What croup??

His breathing treatment

Waiting after his treatment and oral steroid. They wanted us to wait so they could
check him after the steroids had a chance to get in his system.
They had a TV playing kids movies and gave him a popsicle!!!

All in all, it was pretty uneventful and successful. Like I said, Cook's was great and I would go back there again anytime (hopefully not too often...)
Today is Walker's last day to be 4.
Where did the time go???
Where did the time go???
Comments
And, "5 year-olds can drive and go up in attics and they can make smores" what was that little tidbit about? Haha.