Public or Private?

THAT is the question.

I have been trying to decide whether to make my family blog private. For a few reasons:
- I tend to over-share. I write alot, and probably give away more info than I should for something that is just OUT there for any crazy to read. I love Laura's blog, it is private and she really talks in depth about her children, family and crazy life. I also love Maggie's blog. She keeps it simple with her words and it's perfect for a public blog that anybody can read. They would never get too much info, which is a good thing.
- I want to start a cooking blog that would be public and by going to my profile, anybody could see that I had a personal blog and look at it, too.

Reasons I haven't done it yet:
- I really don't want to keep anybody out, other than the aforementioned crazies that are possibly out there. I have some family that read my blog constantly (shout out to you, Deasha!!), but they don't have a blog account, and if my blog was private, my fam would have to go through the extra steps of getting an account to sign into my blog. (Am I correct on that?)
- I would hate to lose some readers just because they don't want to email me to tell me they want to be on my blog list. Does that make sense?

Have you thought about going private? Your thoughts?
Sorry for the boring post...

Comments

jennifer said…
I have thought about it, but probably won't.

One thing I would suggest...go to your settings in blogger. Go to the "basic" section. Make sure that it is set to NOT use your blog in Blogger's listings and NOT allow your name to come up when people do searches on google and yahoo.

I typed your name into my google search bar and your blog came up, along with a few pictures you have on your blog. So, that is a way that strangers can come across your blog.

I think changing that will probably give you peace of mind if you are worried...
Leanne said…
Hi, you don't know me... I am an in-law of maggie's. I always click on your blog from her page. Not because I am some crazy stalker... I am normal. I frequent your blog because I think you are so creative. I love the fun little posts you do. Soooo, I vote public.
Ok, as personal experience :

1. Laura is private, therefore I cannot read her blog anymore and that makes me sad (I don't know how to request that she add me either)

2. Denee is private now too, which means I cannot read her blog either. :(

When people go private they lose readers. My opinion is this : I blog about things that happen to me, and to my kids, and my general thoughts on the world (which may bore people, may piss some people off, whatever) but every once in awhile something I write just might be the very thing someone needed to hear. SO I stay public.

I would encourage you to stay public, add the life feedjit and see who all is coming to your blog.

Leslie went private and I just barely got in on the invites to her blog.....

I think going private is great if you're just writing it for yourself, and if you know exactly who is reading your blog. But, for me I prefer to stay public because very few people comment on my blog. If I decided to go private, it'd just be me and Michael reading my blog :)
Anonymous said…
Kristen,
I read your blod all the time, I love when you give recepies and I like to keep up with your kiddos. They are so cute. In my opinion, if I had a blog it would be private, but that is just because I am paranoid. Not to mention my husband is about 10 times more paranoid than I am. I would only want friends/family to be able to read it. If you are feeling uncomfortable about it then I would listen to your instinct, God gave it to you for a reason. You could do like Leslie did and put a disclaimer on your blog telling people you are going private and to email you so that you can ok who reads it. (I would set up a different email for it too, see how paranoid I am!) Anyway, just some thoughts. Hope you are doing well. Your house looks great by the way. Love, Jill
Rachel Kerbel said…
i am way too trusting! it never really crossed my mind. i know that anyone can read my blog and i wanted it that way b/c of the grandma's that check it and would not be able to navigate it otherwise (being they are in fl.) they have it in their bar, and can click to it easy. if you stay public, just don't get too private. but now i am getting scared having everyone talking about it.
Deborah said…
Kristen, I am going through the very same dilemma right now. I would love to be a little more specific about my pregnancy, and share "stats" when the baby is born. However, those are not things I want the world to have access to. Let me know what you decide, because I LOVE reading your blog!
Maggie said…
i too love reading... i was thinking of going private as well but i know there are people who read my blog from Oklahoma and other places that never comment- so i want to keep it public cause they would never be able to check in with us!
Katherine said…
Stay public. I have wondered the same thing, which is why I don't get into incredibly private details. I know there are people out there who do not comment, and some who have just dropped by and found something that touches them, and I don't want to take those opportunities away.

Blogging has connected me with so many people I would not otherwise!!

About The Shack...YES, go pick up a copy RIGHT NOW!!!! :) I highly recommend it (if you could not tell)-it can be kind of rough at first, but wow-what a transformative and beautiful book if you let yourself dive into it. I read it back in March, and actually would love to read it again.

Let me know if you get it and what you think!! :)
Anonymous said…
It's funny yall are talking about the shack, because I have to read it for my bible class.
Laura Drury said…
I've set up 2 blogs now. One says how to email me if you want to be added. The other is my actual blog. I'm pretty sure you can click on both blogs when you click on my name. That way people can email me if they want access. This was a tough call but one I'm happy with. I sent an invite email to everyone in my address book so I had a good start of readers when it became public. Then if someone's blog I read had an email (like Kristen) I sent them an invite. Courtney, (or anyone!) I'd love for you to try my new system and see if it works. I'm using the blog for many reasons, some personsal for me and my family so this was the best choice for me.
Laura Drury said…
You'll have to excuse the typos...Im feeding a baby while typing!

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Family Weekend

What's so great about living out in the country??

Happy Spring Break to Walker and Lucy!!