Summer Recipes

I love when a new season starts, because it means a new batch of recipes to make. I have often talked about how we associate seasons with certain food, and summer is no exception.

Favorite summer recipes:
chicken, pineapple and pepper kabobs with rice
Grilled salmon
Chicken Caesar salad
Country chicken cobb salad
Homemade ice cream

I have been making a lot of chicken salad lately. I never liked chicken salad when I was growing up, and now I know why. I am VERY picky about my chicken salad.

I like roasted chicken, cut up into chunks, not canned chicken (not that I have anything against canned chicken, honestly- just prefer the fresh roasted for my salad), apples and/or grapes (purple), celery, slivered almonds, mayo, salt and pepper. So, you can see I like a lot of crunch and sweet, rather than savory.

Jason likes his with pineapple and a little apple for crunch.

Summer is the season for salads in our family. I love Chicken Caesar and what I call the country cobb salad. It is chicken strips cut up into chuncks with hard boiled egg, bacon, cheese, croutons and homemade Thousand Island dressing. YUM!

Here is my mom's excellent Thousand Island recipe:

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish

Start with mayo, mix all remaining ingredients. Judge color and taste often to make to your own liking. If too pink, add more ketchup. If too red, add more mayo.


PART II

Our Awesome Weekend (another busy one...)

Saturday Steak Night at my Dad's in honor of Granny's birthday
Walker and Lucy enjoying watermelon
Jason and the kiddos rolling the ice cream ball. You fill the outer chamber with rock salt and ice, and the inside with the ice cream mixture, roll it and shake it for about 30 minutes, and presto! Homemade Ice Cream
Sunday, we had a picnic at the lake with Jason's work. Walker rode this all day! When he wasn't driving it, he was running along side with whoever was driving it!!!

Comments

Sydney said…
SOOO CUTE.
i love the ice cream ball picture. it totally defines jason. he would much rather be rolling around a ball filled with ice cream with the kids, then socializing with the grown-ups. HAHA.
Deborah said…
There is something so sweet and innocent about a child eating a slice of watermelon. So adorable.

Your chicken salad sound yummy. I love putting red grapes and toasted pecans in mine.
Caitlin said…
Mmmm, watermelon...

I can't believe Walker rode that little ATV thing! But it's just his size, that's so funny.
Rachel Kerbel said…
you are such a good cook! we will make some cool recipes when you come down!
Rachel Kerbel said…
p.s. i totally want that ice cream ball!!!
Maggie said…
i want the ice cream ball too!
Ashley C. said…
Ok, we did the icecrema today at recess and it is definitely an AT HOME activity. BUT... it was yummy!

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Family Weekend

What's so great about living out in the country??

Happy Spring Break to Walker and Lucy!!