Friday Favorites

I am not a huge carbonated beverage fan, because for me it doesn't quench my thirst, it is just something that tastes good. So, usually I am thirsty, and want water or sweet tea. But, there is one out there that is my absolute favorite and my best...

Dublin Dr. Pepper
Short history of Dublin DP for you: Dr. Pepper was created in Waco, TX. A businessman tasted it and established the FIRST bottling plant in Dublin, TX. This is why Dublin Dr. Pepper is so special: they still use pure cane sugar, not sweeteners. This is from the Dublin DP website:

"When bottom line indicated the tiny Dublin plant should give up Imperial Pure Cane Sugar in exchange for less expensive corn sweeteners, Bill balked. He continued to subscribe to the country theory of “dancin’ with who brung ya,” refusing to change the recipe which has always given the local product its unique taste. Bill Kloster, the Dublin bottling plant, and Dublin Dr Pepper remained true to themselves."

We (my family) loves Dublin Dr. Pepper. You can get it at some stores now (Central Market, World Market), but we used to order it online by the case because that was the only way we could get it. When my parents would go out of town and I would take care of my sisters, Jason and I would take them on a day trip to Dublin. They have a cool museum, and the old bottling plant that you can tour, and then Old Doc's Soda Shop with souveniers and Dublin Dr. Pepper ice cream treats.
This year, on our way back from San Antonio, we stopped in Dublin for Walker and Lucy's first trip!
Taken at Old Doc's- Sept. '07
My mom and stepdad went for a weekend getaway last weekend, and when they came over for the Super Bowl fiesta, they brought us back a little something...

Dublin Dr. Pepper Cake and Frosting mix!!

As you can imagine, we were pretty excited. I had never seen this before. So, tonight, the kids and I made the Dr. Pepper cake.

Ready to help, as always
Pouring the mix in for me...A bottle of Dublin Dr. Pepper came with the mixes, since you use it in both the cake and frosting mix.
There was some left over, so I let the kids have a taste!!
They said, "We like it, mama!!" and "Dr. Pepper is GOOD!"

The Dublin Dr. Pepper cake
It was essentially a chocolate cake, with Dr. Pepper flavoring.
The frosting was very thick, but not too rich. It is GREAT!

Yum, mom. Can I have some more?
Walker's words while he was chewing on the last bite, and when I said no,
I spied him stealing Lucy's last bite off her plate!

I was in high school before I knew that you couldn't even get Dr. Pepper in alot of other states, and especially up north. You might think I sound ridiculous, going on and on about a drink, but if you HAVE tried it, then I bet you understand.

Comments

Caitlin said…
Dr. Pepper is GOOD! Ha! I didn't know there was such a thing as Dr. Pepper cake! Sounds good!
Maggie said…
They sell the Dublin Dr Pepper at our grocery store here :)

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Family Weekend

What's so great about living out in the country??

Happy Spring Break to Walker and Lucy!!