Friday Favorites

When I started my blog, I planned to post recipes and talk more about food. Cooking is definitely a passion for me, not just just something I have to do. I love Food Network, reading cookbooks, finding new recipes and cooking for my family. It is really fun to have a recipe for something, but change it up a little bit to make it "yours".

One of my favorite all-time meals is....

BREAKFAST FOR DINNER!!


When I was a kid, this was my absolute FAVORITE thing to have. Partly because I love breakfast food, and partly because it was just fun and different. Now, even as an adult it is still one of my favorite things to make, and my kids love it, too!! We have it when Jason is working late, as he prefers his breakfast in the morning.


My favorite breakfast was at Dottie's in San Francisco. We waited an hour out in the street, but it was worth it. I have never had a better breakfast in my life.Favorite breakfasts to have at home-
- Jason's breakfast burritos
- french toast made with challah bread (discovered this from my days at the Jewish day school)
- pancakes and bacon (pancakes from scratch. Bisquick does NOT do it for me)
- mom's lemon pound cake with butter under the broiler, so it gets browned and wonderful!

And, I haven't even talked about the classic breakfast- CEREAL! I could eat cereal everyday. I did when I was pregnant. I love plain cereals, like Cheerios, Crispix, Chex, and sweet cereals, like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Golden Grahams, Corn Pops, Frosted Mini Wheats. YUM!! It is one of my top 5 foods, if I could only have 5 foods for the rest of my life, cereal is one of them.

*One thing I stumbled on this holiday season is great, and I have to share.

Pumpkin pancakes
2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. brown sugar 1 1/2 cups milk
2 tsp. baking powder 1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp. baking soda 1 egg
1 tsp. allspice 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. ground cinnamon 2 Tbsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1. In a large bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil, and vinegar. Combine, separately, the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.

2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides. Serve hot.

**Cook's notes- the kids and I like it with butter and powdered sugar sprinkled (generously) on top. Jason likes his with maple syrup. The batter is thick, don't worry it will be great. They need to cook for longer than regular pancakes because they are so dense, so leave the heat at med. or they will burn. This recipe makes ALOT! But, they reheat great.

Wow, I'm hungry!! Going to find some breakfast now....

Comments

Caitlin said…
YUM, just looking at that picture makes me want some of those pancakes. Dottie's was proper brilliant.

I'll have to try those pumpkin pancakes at some point, I remember you saying how delicious they were. I know you can get canned pumpkin all year long, but it wouldn't feel right to have it any time other than the fall...oh well, maybe I'll just have to get over that, because pumpkin is my favorite and my best!
Anonymous said…
I love your Friday Fav lists' they are always so much fun! I aspire to be a good blogger like you! I am really trying to post more!
Maggie said…
Sounds yummy! Are you sure you don't want an "ego sandwich" instead??????
Kristen Ballard said…
My kids LOVE Eggo sandwiches!! Oh, man did you invent something good there, Mags...

Nee', I hope you didn't think I was getting on to you about posting. I thought it was weird that your last 2 posts were both on the 17th- And that is your birthday day! You ARE a good blogger, that is why I check it a couple of times a week to hear more great Cali stories.
Ashley C. said…
Love the recipe idea!! I'm going to steal this soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Family Weekend

What's so great about living out in the country??

Happy Spring Break to Walker and Lucy!!