Cooking with Senora Ballard

This week, I made corn tortillas with all the kindergarten classes. Normally, I have each kindergarten class everyday (Monday-Thursday). During "tortilla week", I take one kindergarten a day, so I have time to go through the whole tortilla making (and eating!!) process. This is my second year to teach Spanish to the little guys, and do the tortillas. It is always a favorite activity!! !Muy Delicioso!
The masa
Masa is what the dough is called. It is corn flour (found at the store), salt and warm water.

The masa in the tortilla press

A pressed tortilla!

On the griddle, almost ready...

YUMMY!!
The kindergarteners enjoy their tortillas. I brought butter and salsa, I was surprised how many of the kids wanted salsa on their tortillas.

I know I don't talk about my job too much, but I really enjoy it. I purposely majored in elementary education, because I didn't think I was "cut-out" for early childhood. It takes a special person to be a teacher, but I believe that it takes an even more special person to be a preschool teacher!!! I still am not sure I could do it full-time, as the main teacher, but I really love interacting with the younger ones. They are all so sweet, and we have a great time learning espanol!! And, the tortillas are so yummy right off the griddle with butter. Mmmm, butter.

Comments

Caitlin said…
Waaaait, you have a tortilla press?? Why haven't you ever made tortillas for me? Haha! Those look awesome. I bet those kids really enjoyed it. What a great idea for a Spanish class activity!
Anonymous said…
i bet is simply delicioso! do homemade tortillas taste different then tortillas from a restaurant?
Anna said…
I am glad you have found my blog and I yours. It was great to see you in person and hear about your sweet family. Isn't funny how something about our school has kept us all connected somehow with great friendships. I can't wait to continue to read your page!!

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Family Weekend

Happy Spring Break to Walker and Lucy!!

What's so great about living out in the country??